About Us

Mission

 

The mission of New Haven Preservation Trust is to honor and preserve New Haven’s architectural heritage—historic buildings and neighborhoods—through advocacy, education, and collaboration.


Since its founding in 1961, the Trust has played a key role in the preservation and restoration of the New Haven Free Public Library, the New Haven Post Office and Federal Building, New Haven City Hall, the John Davies Mansion, Union Station, and countless private residences and commercial buildings throughout the city. Through advocacy, distribution of information, historic research, tours, and private consultations, the Trust continues to be New Haven’s advocate for the centuries-old architectural heritage that defines our city.

The New Haven Preservation Trust is a private, 501(c)(3) charitable organization.

 
New Haven Free Public Library, 133 Elm Street. Architect: Cass Gilbert, 1908.

New Haven Free Public Library, 133 Elm Street. Architect: Cass Gilbert, 1908.

New Haven Post Office and Federal Building, 141 Church Street. Architect: James Gamble Rogers, 1913.

New Haven Post Office and Federal Building, 141 Church Street. Architect: James Gamble Rogers, 1913.

New Haven City Hall, 165 Church Street. Architect: Henry Austin, 1861.

New Haven City Hall, 165 Church Street. Architect: Henry Austin, 1861.

John Davies Mansion, 393 Prospect Street. Architects: Henry Austin and David R. Brown, 1868.

John Davies Mansion, 393 Prospect Street. Architects: Henry Austin and David R. Brown, 1868.

Union Station, 50 Union Avenue. Architect: Cass Gilbert, 1918

Union Station, 50 Union Avenue. Architect: Cass Gilbert, 1918